Spinal Cord Injury Treatment In Delhi : Everything You Should Know About Spinal Injury
The spinal cord is a long bundle of nerves extending from brainstem to lower back of the body.
It helps in the transmission of neural signals and coordination of reflexes.
Our spinal cord act as a bridge between the brain and peripheral nerves.
The spinal cord runs vertically downwards inside the vertebral foramen and gives horizontal spinal nerves out of intervertebral foramen. It tapers at the lower back forming a bunch of nerves like a horse tail thus called as cauda equina.
The spinal cord is well protected within the vertebras but any assault to the vertebral column can lead to injury of the spinal cord.
What is Spinal Injury ?
Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) is defined as any injury to the spinal cord or its structure resulting in disruption of function and causing disability. Its incidence rate is low but it can have lifelong effects.
The major cause of injury is trauma like motor vehicle accident, fall from a height, gunshot wound, violence.
Other nontraumatic/ pathological causes are thrombosis, embolism, infection, spinal tumor and vascular malformations.
It is more prevalent in males with the age group of 16-30 years.
The spinal cord injury treatment can either be complete or incomplete.
In complete spinal cord injury, there is no sensory or motor bladder and bowel function.
In incomplete spinal cord injury treatment, there is motor and sensory function loss corresponding to the level of injury, sparing anal contraction and sensation.
If the injury is at neck (cervical) level then it can cause Tetraplegia which refers to the complete paralysis of both hand & both legs and back & torso.
If the injury is at the chest (thoracic) or lower back ( lumbar) level then it can cause Paraplegia, that is the complete paralysis of both legs and all or part of the trunk.
Causes of SCI
● Head on collisions like a head strike on steering wheel or windshield causing wedge fracture of neck(cervical) vertebra or lower back vertebrae.
● Blow on back of head or trunk.
● Vertical or axial blow to head during diving or surfing.
● Falling of object on the head.
● Rear end collision.
● Falling with chin hitting a stationary object.
● Back to a front force directed at the rotated vertebral column.
● Distraction force on the head, pulling it away from the body.
The recovery from SCI depends on the extent of damage, the level of injury and precaution & medical care after the incident.
Complete SCI is the poor prognostic indicator whereas incomplete SCI has a good prognosis.
SCI requires emergency care which starts at the location of the accident. That’s why it’s important to report accident and trauma immediately.
If SCI is suspected, the patient’s body should not be moved actively or passively but instead it should be strapped to a backboard to support the spine.
To immobilize and prevent further complications use the cervical collar to support head and neck.
The spine should be maintained in a neutral position.
Fracture stabilization can be done either by closed reduction and traction or by surgical decompression by using rods and plates.
Providing turning frames or beds for positioning.
Use of orthosis or body jacket to immobilize spine.
Physiotherapist conducts an extensive thorough examination of the patient to plan further rehab strategies.
These examination gives an idea of the level of injury, expected outcomes, prognosis and thus helping in the formulation of appropriate treatment goals.
The most vital examination is subjective which includes a detailed history of the problem and the objective examination which includes the motor, sensory and functional test.
One of the most and must perform test is ASIA Impairment scaling, which gives the idea of the level of injury by assessing motor and sensory functions.
Other examination includes respiratory examination for respiratory muscles function, chest expansion.
Signs & Symptoms
● Spinal Shock causing loss of reflexes.
● Motor Impairment.
● Sensory Impairment.
● Postural hypotension.
● Impaired body temperature.
● Bladder and bowel dysfunction.
● Sexual dysfunction.
● Respiratory Impairment.
● Pressure sores.
● Deep vein thrombosis.
● Urinary tract infection.
● Pulmonary complications.
● Calcification of soft tissue.
● Renal calculi.
● Pain due to trauma, nerve root irritation or musculoskeletal problem.
● Effective positioning.
● Respiratory care.
● Maintaining range of motion.
● Encouraging active movement if any available.
● Promote functional training.
● Prevent any further complications.
● Education about the use of assistive devices like wheelchair, orthoses, splints, slings, braces
● Educate family members and caretakers and encourage positive lifestyle choices.
● The proper and effective positioning of affected body parts.
● Breathing exercises.
● Assisted coughing to remove secretions.
● Use of abdominal corset and binders.
● Stretching of chest wall muscles.
● The range of motion exercises.
● Selective stretching.
● Selective strengthening.
● Neuromuscular facilitation.
● Biofeedback training.
● Mat activities.
● Wheelchair skill training.
● Ambulation training.
● Using adaptive and customized daily life articles like adaptive utensils, handles, bed etc.
● Proper use of assistive devices like braces, orthosis, standing frame, walker etc.
● Promoting independent functional daily activities and self-care in spinal cord injury treatment will yield good results.
Here at PhysioAdviser India, we understand that every patient responds differently to trauma and thus we offer an individualized approach to treatment.
Encouraging patient in spinal cord injury treatment to live with a positive mindset and make best of what they have and achieve functional independence.
Our rehabilitation program with best spinal cord injury treatment is crafted to meet the needs of the patient and provide them satisfaction and care.
We also provide the best ‘at home’ care and rehabilitation in Delhi with affordable price, to avoid any inconvenience and promote better recovery in a homely environment.
Some disease or trauma can be disabling but shouldn’t be disheartening and we take care of it by providing extensive rehabilitation matching the global standards.